Very exciting program you have planned. What a productive and practical way for kids to get an inside look at what it really takes to succeed and explore the real world and make connections
– Parent of High School Senior
The number of ways mentoring can help a youth are as varied as the people involved in each program. While the lists and statistics can be impressive, personal stories can be even more impressive. It is clear that, youth who participate in mentoring relationships experience a number of positive benefits.
- In terms of educational achievement, mentored youth have better school attendance; a better chance of going on to higher education; and better attitudes toward school.
- In terms of health and safety, mentoring appears to help prevent substance abuse and reduce some negative youth behaviors..
- On the social and emotional development front, taking part in mentoring promotes positive social attitudes and relationships. Mentored youth tend to trust their parents more and communicate better with them..
What Mentoring Does for Adolescents
Support with day-to-day living
- Mentors help improve a young person’s self-esteem.
- Youth who meet regularly with their mentors are 46% less likely than their peers to start using illegal drugs and 27% less likely to start drinking (Public/Private Ventures study of Big Brothers Big Sisters).
- About 40% of a teenager’s waking hours are spent without companionship or supervision. Mentors provide teens with a valuable place to spend free time and learn basic truth about living as a good community member.
- Mentors teach young people how to relate well to all kinds of people and help them strengthen communication skills.
Support in the workplace
- Mentors help young people set career goals and start taking steps to realize them.
- Mentors can use their personal contacts to help young people meet industry professionals, find internships and locate job possibilities.
- Mentors introduce young people to professional resources and organizations they may not know.
- Mentors can help their mentees learn how to seek and keep jobs.
The Handshake Foundation is committed to providing the highest quality individuals who want to mentor a youth. We know there are many organizations with opportunities to mentor and we applaud them. Our program is based on The National Mentoring Partnership guidelines and resources to elevate our program to be effective and leading edge in support of our mission of helping kids get a practical real world view. We invite you to consider being a mentor in our program. If you would like more information on mentoring or speaking please click button below.